Today is April 1st.
Many sites take today as an opportunity to pull pranks on their readers. In addition to just being fun, this can stir-up some publicity. However, some people may not like it if you set-up a joke. Some people just don’t have a sense of humor…
Here are a few notable pranks from previous years:
- Google TiSP
- GMail Paper
- Mugglenet and Leaky Cauldron‘s fictitious merger into “LeakyMug” (alas the WayBack was not able to capture it…)
- Numerous sites claiming to have been “hacked”
Those are the most memorable ones (read: the only ones that immediately come to mind). AprilFoolsDayOnTheWeb.com has big lists of jokes from 2007 and 2006, if you want to look further.
So, are you planning a prank? If you are, please share it here.
Some 2008 April Fools Pranks
- Webmaster-Source 2008 Merger
- GMail Custom time
- Deutsche Telekom / T-Mobile demands Engadget Mobile discontinue using the color magenta EDIT: EnGadget assures that this one is NOT a prank. This is real. They have responded by adding even more Magenta to their site.
- Why We’re Suing Facebook For $25 Million In Statutory Damages
- YouTube RickRolls Its Users
- Live, from New York, it’s…Mark Zuckerberg?
- Google gDay™ with MATE™