Are you planning on moving from shared hosting to a more robust hosting platform, such as a VPS? It’s easy enough to find a provider, such as VPS.net, Linode or Slicehost. But that’s just the beginning. You have to learn how to set up and maintain your new server.
Here are a few resources to help you figure things out:
- HowtoForge — All sorts of Linux tutorials. They have guides to setting up server configurations on the various Linux flavors, as well as basic introductions to Linux.
- Slicehost Article Repository — Even if you aren’t a Slicehost customer, you will find some invaluable guides and tutorials here.
- Linode Library — Much like Slicehost, Linode maintains a collection of useful tutorials.
- Official Ubuntu Documentation — Select your version of Ubuntu and look for the “Server Guide” link.
- Google! — Search engines are your friend. If you don’t know what something means or you want to learn how to do something, search for a tutorial. The chances are good that someone else has already written something on the subject.
If you really get stuck, try leaving your question on your host’s forum or on Server Fault.