It’s 2008! Webmaster-Source has been a blog for a year (okay, half a year…), so let’s recap some of the better posts, and review our progress. I say “our progress”, because there wouldn’t be any without all of you who read this blog.
A Brief History Lesson
Webmaster-Source has been a blog since June 2, 2007, though it’s technically been around since 2006. Sometime in 2006, I registered the domain “Webmaster-Source.com” after a few weeks of brainstorming name ideas. Back then the site was just a categorized list of links for webmasters, a web directory of sorts.
In December of 2006, I got into blogging. I started “Redwall_hp’s Blog” on Blogger, and wrote about miscellaneous (generally internet-related) topics for a few months. Then, I moved over to a WordPress installation I put on a subdomain of NTugo.com (which hadn’t launched yet). I kept-up my blogging, and eventually I realized I wasn’t going about things in the best way. I had “Webmaster-Source.com,” which was pretty much collecting dust at the time, and I had a topic-less blog which mainly contained internet-related things. I decided to put two and two together, so to speak.
The new Webmaster-Source debuted in June, and it’s success has dwarfed my old personal blog (which I’ve since stopped updating). What of the content from the “old Webmaster-Source?” It’s still here, just dated June 2, 2007. You’ll also find some of the popular posts from my old personal blog as well (I copied them over, and used .htaccess to forward people from my old blog to the new URLs).
Progress (as of December 30, 2007)
- RSS Subscribers: 93 (average over 30 days)
- PageRank: 3
- Technorati Authority: 95
- Monthly Unique Visitors: Average of 5,729 and rising
- Posts: 325
- Comments: 443
- Spam Comments Blocked by Akismet: 9,116
Not bad, considering all of those stats were at zero in June, pretty much.
Top Posts of 2007
These are probably WSC’s best posts this year, though you may have your own preferences. I’ve been looking through the archives, and I’ve put together this list of what I consider to be the best of 2007.
- Starting a Great Blog Part 1 – Intro
- Free Blog Services Rated: Blogger, Livejournal, WordPress.com
- Creating a Favicon
- 7 Books For Beginning Webmasters
- Websites Through The Years Series
- Naming Your Site: No, “Bob” Isn’t a Good Name
- “Content Mapping”: How is your layout structured?
- Merging RSS Feeds With SimplePie
- Blogging Tip: Cheap, but great, prizes for contests
- 47 CSS Tutorials, Techniques, and Resources
- Don’t Block Firefox!
- 7,076 Unique Visitors! The Power of StumbleUpon
- 78 Inspirational Logos
- Get More RSS Feed Subscribers!
- Drive Traffic to Your Site with TopicCards
- 12 Simple, but Essential WordPress Plugins
- Combat Blogger’s Block
- The Top (Known) Linkbaiting Techniques
- Is AdBlock “Evil”?
- Book Rotation: Randomly Display Your Favorite Books
- Overselling: Web Hosts’ Little “Secret”
- Got .Web? Alternatives to .Com Domains
- What is a Blog?
- The Coolest Web Designs On The Planet
- Clean-Up Your Post Pages, and Ditch the DiggIt Widget!
- What is Speedlinking?
- BlogBuzz October 12, 2007
- Halloween Logos
- BlogBuzz November 3, 2007
- Using SimplePie For Your Sideblog
- The Ultimate WordPress Sideblog
- WordPress as an Online Magazine
- Has Your Site Been “Hacked”? Recovering From Cyber Vandalism
- ScratchBack – Give a $1 Tip and Get a Link
- Permalink Optimization
Onward to 2008
Bring on the new year! I look forward to another year of blogging, and I hope you’ll all stick around and continue reading.