- China’s “Great Firewall” has just blocked pretty much every RSS feed on the planet. So they’re too lazy to devise means to “filter” RSS feeds, so they go and block them?
- “It’s another thing entirely to write 1,000 [posts] – which is most likely the point at which you’ll begin to see any return on your time investment.”
- First steps to graphic design pricing. By the way, 63 hours of work divided by $200 equals $3.17 an hour.
- Here’s something that all WordPress users should know about: There are several unnecessary tags in most WordPress themes (even ones you make yourself) that you can replace with static HTML to save your server some work.
- Want a $5 PDA? Make one yourself in three easy steps! Personally, I just use a pocket-sized notepad.
- While HTML meta tags aren’t given as much weight as they used to, they still affect your search ranking significantly. Here’s a great plugin that automatically generates meta tags from the tagging system built-in to WordPress 2.3.
- When Google acquisitions go wrong: the disappointing story of Urchin
- 30 Usability Issues To Be Aware Of
- Head over to Apple.com and type “virus” into their search box.
- Michael of Pro Blog Design recommends putting your post images on the left. Of course, there’s more to it. If you put AdSense blocks inline with your text, for example, then it would be better to put those on the left. There is plenty of debating going-on over in Pro Blog Design’s comments.
- Prepare to be smashed with information! Smashing Magazine has released their Best of September 2007 post.
- Some genius thought that everyone likes Google Blog Search better than Technorati for WordPress’s incoming links. GBS stinks, and it’s been driving me insane (incoming links from this blog shouldn’t be displayed!). Finally someone’s released a plugin that puts the Technorati links back.
- Firefox: Coming to a phone near you.
- If you think this comic is funny, then you’ve passed the Web Elite test (and you’ve also spent too long working with MySQL…).
- Apple and AT&T are being hit with an $800 million lawsuit because of their “monopolistic practices” involving the iPhone (stopping unlocking, forcing you to use AT&T service, etc). First of all, Apple’s phone, AT&T’s network, their choice…not yours. Second, the iPhone is no where near cornering the cellphone market. Third, it’s common for carriers to have exclusive rights to certain phones. Fourth, read this Digg comment.
- How to Profit from Google’s War on Paid Links.
- GMail’s giving us more storage! The counter is going up faster, and we may have 4.2GB by October 23.
- 30+ Sites to Help Inspire Your Designs
- Looking for a good Flash image gallery? Smashing Magazine has rounded-up a few good ones.
Monthly Archives: October 2007
Don’t you just hate it when you have a great idea for a blog post, but by the next day you’ve forgotten it? Don’t deny it, it happens. Just yesterday I had not one, but two great ideas for posts. Do I remember either…
After soliciting submissions, haunting design galleries, and looking through my bookmarks, I have put together this collection of cool web designs. I may not have all of the coolest web designs on the plane Earth, but I’ve collected all the coolest ones on my…
It’s coming. WordPress 2.4 will be released on December 12, and 2.5 in the following May. According to Blogging Pro, we will be seeing “some very visible changes to the WordPress administration panel.” What does that mean? Will the admin be redesigned? We could…
BlogRush has put up a “temporary stats” system on their dashboard, as the normal one with all of the graphs is “currently unavailable.” It’s showing, for Webmaster-Source, the following: Credits Earned Today: 363 Credits Earned Last 7 Days: 1,957 Your Traffic Today: 363 Your…
301 redirects are useful for numerous things. If you change a post slug is WordPress, then you can place a 301 redirect so anyone going to the old URL will be redirected to the new one. This had the added bonus of letting search…
Do you know how to write? If you can write a few coherent paragraphs without misspelling 10%+ of the words, then yes, you can write. Have you considered starting a blog? If you have something interesting to say, then you’ve got the basis for…